I have designed my blog to display my card making, scrapbooking, mini albums and any and all paper crafting and STAMPING!! I want to discuss anything to do with all these things and play with my passion here!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Fairy in a bottle...aka Captured Fairy!

My niece is having a birthday next week.  I thought I'd make her a captured fairy as she is just crazy for fairies!!!  So my creation will be well loved to be sure.  I also made a wall hanging for her.  It is a mixed media piece on a hard piece of canvas.  I have never done anything like this before so.....with nerves I post the picture.................

Art of a different kind

This is a 5x7 canvas art I created for my niece.  I think it is a bit busy (as does my Mum) however for my nieces age I feel that this is perfect and age appropriate art for her wall. I will be adding a metal chain to hang it not a fabric one.  There are many exciting embellishments to play with and much on the piece to see and explore.  I began by using gesso to prime the canvas. A coat of homemade acrylic purple, follows.  While the paint was still wet I added glitter and it stuck to the paint very well.  I followed by stamping on sayings and flourishes from Unity stamps.  I created an acetate alcohol ink flourish that is under the flower.  I cut the flower out using Donna Salazar's Rose Creations Spellbinder die.  The leaves are a Spellbinders cut out as well.  I softened up the paper with the McGill paper blossom tool kit to make the flowers and Mcgill's paper blossom craft molding mat under the paper to put the shape into the flower petals.  I stamped script onto the petals and inked the edges to give better dimension.  Lace was added to create a border on the canvas.  I added the embellishments and hung a few trinkets from the bottom lace with jump rings.  The purple dollop on the top is a bit of UTEE that I poured into a bottle cap that was full of glitter....interesting, now I have resin and would use that!!!  Can't wait to play with that new toy!!!!


The butterfly
 I created the butterfly with a die from Cuttlebug.  I put a lot of glitter LuminArte paint on the top as well as Shimmerz bling paint.   I also put a wire around the center to add a little glitter there too.  I had to place a fairy on as well.....my niece loves them!!!

Close up!

lace close up

Well that is the canvas creation part of this post.......next is my.... well, soon to be my niece's fairy!!!

I had a wonderful time creating this fairy.  I got the idea from my crafty pal Sandi.....thanks yet again Sandi!!  I appreciate your inspiration and your amazing creations!

I have named her Juniper Iceglow.................I used the fairy from the Graphic 45- 'Once Upon a Springtime' paper pack.  Love that paper!!!!  I changed the fairy from blue dressed to purple as my niece loves pink and purple....so that is my reason for all the purple....it really is everywhere!!!

added jump rings to gems and metal embellishments

another view of metal and gems

floral top of jar
 I created this lid by changing the brass colour to a purple using alcohol inks and then added a taffeta flower on the top with some Prima leaves that I added some Pearl X too,  in order to add more purple!  She loves her purple!!  I heated the taffeta with my heat gun to take the petals to a place of curling and melting in the right amounts.  The petals are created using Tim Holtz die cut tattered florals.  You can just make out the small roses on the outside rim of the jar from this view.  It is Maya road roses that I added a purple hue by adding distress ink with a foamy.
another lid view

Juniper Iceglow is unmasked!  
 I love how she looks!   The bottom is moss and a few bits of Potpourri pieces (thanks Sandi!).  I took some branches and tied them together with a bit of copper wire.  I added two sprays of gems on a metal strand.  The fairy is coloured with LuminArte purple paint and Stickles are on her dress and hair to pop the glitter out.  I put a butterfly on her back to give her wings.  I coloured the wings with a pink Copic marker then followed with Stickles to make the wings stand out!  Then gems were put on the outside edges of the wings to glitz her up!!  I sealed Juniper up with Golden self leveling gel gloss.  When She was finished I adhered her to my twigs then stuck the entire piece into the jar.....once in....no going back!! lol!


Feathers and pearls on the side of the jar

the back of the jar
 I added as the first step in this creative process the tissue background on the outside of the jar with decoupage.  I used Mod Podge, glitter matte, and stuck different colours down onto the jar.  Once that was dry I added from the Graphic 45, Once upon a Springtime paper pack, the flowers....they were peachy in colour.  I added LuminArte to the paper and added a purple hue to them to try to remove the peach colour.  I added the flowers to the tissue background with Golden Gel gloss, self leveling.  It is non sticky and stuck like a charm!  LOVERLY!!
Side view of Junipers new home!

front/side view

bottom of jar at the front. 
 I added a ribbon to the bottom of the jar to hide the glue from view......oh the tricks! I stuck it on with Scor Pal tape and it is good and stuck!

close up of Juniper

great view of Juniper and her background feathers

bottom of the jar

In order to protect furniture I added a bit of felt.  I put it through the Big Shot in an embossing folder to give it a little texture but it did not show up very well on the picture.  Perhaps in the future I will be using a fabric stiffener before I put any fabric into the embossing folders.  I hope that this will help the fabric to better hold the texture.  Not sure on this.....will have to experiment...perhaps fusible web will work just as well!! Only one way to find out!!

Well there she is 'Juniper Iceglow' my captured fairy!!  I do have to make a tag for her.....however this will be something I need to work on....I have made two thus far and really have not been happy with what I have created!!
More work.......a labour of love to be sure!!!
Thanks for sticking with me and reading about all of my work and looking at my pictures!
Happy creating everyone.......I will try to post more often.  I will be posting a card soon enough as I do not have one created yet for this birthday gift!  There we have it!!

4 comments:

janetmacd123 said...

I just looked at your lovely captured fairy in a jar! She is just gorgeous! I hope that your daughter liked her. What a lucky little girl!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Das ist sooooo schรถn๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜